I know many people still do not understand the role of a fashion stylist so am going to break it down. A fashion stylist’s job is to select clothes and accessories to create images for magazine/editorial features, advertising campaigns, print, television, music videos, live concert performances (rock and pop, opera), film premieres and any other public appearances made by celebrities, models and other public figures. Fashion stylists also work one to one as personal stylists for individuals selecting clothes and accessories for them, enabling them to look stylish and effortless.
Fashion Stylists can work alone or as part of a team, the job varies enormously depending on the assignment. Editorial / photo shoots and fashion show assignments often dictate that stylists are employed by the client as part of a creative team.
Here are some of the movers and shakers in the fashion styling world:
1. Rachel Zoe – This is one woman I totally admire. She created the ‘boho chic’ craze and is definitely the stylist/designer to beat. Her clients include Eva Mendes, Demi Moore, Jennifer Lawrence, Jennifer Garner amongst others.
‘Successful stylists know clothes, but more importantly they know their clients – they know what they really think and feel, and how they move and react. A stylist needs to know a client’s dreams and aspirations, her insecurities and attributes, and how to process that information to bring out the best in her/him. You have to do the same for yourself when creating your own look’
2. Kate Young – This stylist started her career in Vogue and she is one of the leading stylists in Hollywood today. Her clients include Alicia Keys, Natalie Portman and so many more.
3. Petra Flannery – This stylist to stars puts her clients on the best dressed list over and over again. She styles Zoe Saldana, Emma Stone, Claire Danes, Mila Kunis amongst others.
4. Veronica Ebie-Odeka – This Nigerian beauty is one of the best stylists in Africa. She is the owner of Vanestyle Agency and her clients include Genevieve Nnaji, Tiwa Sawage, Waje, Davido amongst others.
5. Jen Rade – Jen Rade is a top costume designer and fashion stylist. She styles Cher, Pink, Angelina Jolie amongst others.
6. Leslie Framer – Leslie Framer is another celebrity fashion stylist to keep our eyes on. Her clients include Julianne Moore, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson amongst others.
There are so many fashion stylists all over the world and this list could go on and on but it stops here. What are your thoughts on fashion stylists in general? Do you think they are needed in the fashion industry? Will you want to have one if you could afford to? Lets hear your thoughts.