The Mac has a history going back to the ’80s where it performed as the better design tool. It has been known for years to render its fonts better and unmatched in its superior user experience. Finally, it’s consistent, well-made, and good looking. Both Mac and Windows users alike all agreed that today, there isn’t much of a difference between the competitive models with similar specifications. For seniors to know, It’s all come down to a matter of personal preference.
Technology is to be enjoyed by everyone, young and old. So for the midlifers out there who think that they are way behind on the times, think again. It’s never too late to set up that Skype or Facebook account, start blogging or even set up an online business you can retire with.
Here you will find handy tips on how the adult or senior can utilize their Mac devices and get involved with the world wide web.
Because of its GUI and pleasant user experience, more and more people tend to use Mac’s for their professional and personal computing. Since 1980, more and more of today’s adults are realising that in the reality we live in, not all of it is physical, and personal lives administration including businesses are starting to rely on databases, code, bits and bytes rather than paper and filing cabinets. Macs have a reputation ever since the release of Apple’s System 7 of May 1991; it was considered to be much more user-friendly than its counterpart rivals, Microsoft’s Windows 3.1 of April ‘92. This was because of their easy to use interface, more and more people who didn’t understand computing joined the Personal Computer family by choosing Mac for this purpose.
By default, macOS comes with useful toolbars, sidebars, buttons, and similar. To the beginner senior, these items can create confusion, more so if they prefer to rely only on any menus for app options. So it helps seniors to maintain the bare minimum app interfaces with only showing the most important elements within sight. The main idea here is to declutter the Dock, menu bar, and sidebars and toolbars within apps.
Lastly, if you have a smartphone with the Apple brand; iPhone etc, then you can sync content through your Apple account which allows you to keep on top of your files with ease.
If you are struggling to get through a switch from Microsoft Windows to Mac, there are plenty of tutorials and guides from Apples Support centre.
Not to worry though if you have an android or windows device. There are plenty of articles and support websites available that give advice to people who need to use a cross-platform of devices. For example, some people who like to use their Android phone for photography and then get stuck on how to transfer their files. A solution for this is they should follow this step by step guide that shows you how to transfer files from Android to Mac.
So, What Else Can I Do With It?
- Time Machine On Mac – Although you have use of the iCloud with using a Mac it’s still a good idea to make sure you’re backing it up on a regular basis. The Time Machine app is the easiest way that you can do, however, as always there are other plans that might work better for you. The best thing to do is to complete your own research.
- iCloud On Mac – Easily of the best reasons to use Mac is the Apple ecosystem. This is largely fueled by the iCloud syncing. You can access your photos, documents, movies, music, and anything else you have stored all with your iCloud account.
- iTunes On Mac – iTunes is already installed on your Mac when you are getting started so you don’t have to figure this part out. If, however, you don’t have it for some reason it’s easy enough to download from apple directly. iTunes allows you to store all of your favourite movies, tv shows, iBooks, apps, music, and more. Even if you don’t use a Mac for your media you can still download purchased content straight from iTunes itself.
- Set Up Email End Calendar – Although there are a number of free and downloadable email and calendar apps for the Mac, you should still set up the Mail and Calendar app that comes on your Mac as standard. The built-in Mail and Calendar apps will most likely always be supported by Apple and using other applications may be slower and have to recheck for data syncs more often.
- Optimized Storage on Mac – Apple as a whole is brilliant with this kind of thing and have put steps into place to make sure your storage is always optimised. Using a number of iCloud syncing options, as well as performing a regular declutter, you can keep your hard drive free for more important files. Definitely useful for when you have essential files that you may need to download. This is one of the many reasons bloggers use Macs over others.
- Set Up Automatic Downloads – Apple regularly updates the macOS with new and great features. Although Mac is less vulnerable to viruses and the like, updates are crucial to maintaining and running of your system. Some Mac app developers also like to keep things ticking with regular updates which bring new and exciting features to the Mac community. You can ensure you don’t miss anything by setting up automatic downloads, which will run from the background.
- Connect Your Printer – Peripherals like a mouse and keyboard, trackpad, scanner and printer, are all important to getting the most out of your Mac. Having a scanner and printer can often be handy to keep less physical paperwork and can allow you to duplicate them embarrassing photographs of the kids.
- Download Apps And Games – Apple make sure they provide you with the basic apps they deem needed to getting started and will throw in a few games too. There are still plenty of apps you will need for productivity, entertainment, and more. This is where you will find it useful to be using the Mac Apple Store, you will need to create an Apple ID to use this but it will sync all as across other devices such as an iPhone. There is an abundance of apps available so have some fun finding some useful tools for personal and business uses.
Technology is constantly changing and this also means that the top tips do too! so it’s important to keep up to date. Do you have any other tips for help using a Mac? Please share them in the comments section below.
Can you imagine how much you can do with this gadget? information technology has revolutionized they way we think and interact these days.
Thank you for this great insight on what you can do with a MAC .
I love my Mac. It is so useful.
I’m more of a PC girl as Mac cannot handle some software but I’m sure seniors would love it. If you’re used to PC and suddenly switch to Mac, it’s hard for your fingers to adjust. Speaking from experience lol.
I am a Mac girl all day everyday 😊
I am also a huge fan of their products. It is super smooth, user-friendly and convenient. I’m an avid user and will always be.
Same here 😊
I ditched my Microsoft computers years ago! I love my mac and would never switch back. Thanks for the post.
I can’t dream of going back to my old laptop either.
It is never too late to those who have not yet used social media. It is the best way to get in touch with friends and loved ones. Mac is a perfect choice.
Yes it is.
I’m going to have to check out the Time Machine app. I wasn’t aware of it on Mac. Mostly I just upload to the cloud. Although I think I felt like I had an easy transition to Mac from Windows although there were some ways the screen scrolls on my MacBook Air I had to get used to.
It took me sometime to get into mine too but I LOVE it now.
I love the mac product it serves me better, It’s features are super cool and dope, nice post thanks for sharing.
Yes the features are so amazing.