I’ve been into freelancing for some time now. I must say that it is quite a lucrative business. However, it does have its ups and downs.
I know that there are a lot of people who want to launch their online businesses. It makes me really happy to know that more and more people want to take control of their finances and embrace the laptop lifestyle – working from the comfort of their homes, or anywhere they decide to work from.
To open your eyes to the endless possibilities of making money online, I’ve put together a list of money-making avenues you can try your hands on. The good news is that you can combine a number of them to help increase your streams of income. I do all on this list except one, and I am considering venturing into that by 2017. Here they are:
A blog is one of the most popular platforms on which you can make money online. The truth is that a blog on its own cannot generate money. It is what you set up on your blog or how you use your blog that will make money for you. And that is the reason many bloggers make lots of money from blogging, and many make nothing.
There are many ways you can make money from your blog. Some of the most popular are:
• Selling advert spaces on your blog. You can give out certain portions on your blog to advertisers to advertise their products, services or events. You can also sign up to an ad network like Google Adsense or WordAds; they connect you to businesses whose ads you can run on your blog. This method usually requires to you have high traffic for it to give a considerable amount of income. I make a few dollars from my WordAds every month
• Be an affiliate to products where you can share a link of the products on your blog and get a commission for every person who buys the product through your link. This is also another popular way of making money from your blog. There are many affiliate networks available and many bloggers make quite a huge amount from this but I am yet to make any significant amount from affiliate links. It is just a few dollars I make from this method.
• Have a membership platform where your readers can pay a monthly or yearly fee to gain access to premium content that you don’t share on your blog. This works for certain blogs.
• Sell eBooks, courses or tools that your readers will find useful. You all know about my eBook – How to Cash In as a Blogger available on Amazon for £3.44 but free to read on Kindle Unlimited. I am yet to get rich on this book but it does bring some income.
• Write sponsored posts for businesses that want you to write a piece about their product or service. I make majority of my blog income from sponsored posts.
Freelance Digital Public Relations (PR)
Freelance Digital PR professionals play the unique role of promoting businesses or creating publicity for their client’s brand or event. Freelance PRs are paid to write press releases, pitch letters and help network with the right people to help promote their clients through online media. If you have a marketing or PR background, good online networking circle or are good at making connections with people, and you are good at pitching and managing your time, then this is a great way of making money online and building a portfolio. Majority of my online income comes from here.
If you’re great at writing then freelancing writing may be the right way to go. Freelance writers are always in high demand as more and more people outsource content writing. I am on and off with my freelance writing, I have neglected that part of my online business for months. I am hoping to step up my game soon.
Sell items on eBay
If you’re interested in selling physical products, then this option may interest you. eBay is an “online shop” where you can sell almost anything – jewelry, bags, shoes, clothes, and many more. I have neglected my eBay shop for months now. I just don’t have the time to run it the way I should. I am hoping to sell some more before the end of the year. I just need to find the time to actually list the items.
If you have a considerable number of viewers or subscribers to your YouTube channel, you can make money through vlogging by allowing ads to run during your video. And you can make money through sponsored reviews and mentions as well. I am yet to venture into the world of YouTube, it sounds really complicated (I know it’s not) and is way out of my comfort zone. I like to write and I am good at it (
how cocky), not sure about vlogging but we will have to wait and see.
How do you make money online? Are there other tried and tested ways to make money online? Do share.