So she’s said she’d like a new bag and you’re already kicking yourself for asking in the first place. When it comes to buying a handbag for that significant lady in your life, whether wife, girlfriend, mum or sister, they’ll be quick to tell you every single one they own is different and has a purpose. However, when it comes to you picking out one, you’d better believe they’re leaving you to work it out for yourself. Not to worry, though. My Favourite Voucher Codes have got you covered on the lowdown of women’s handbags and each type’s outstanding features.
The backpack can seem like a practical choice, but they’ve actually become something of a classic staple in any woman’s collection of bags. From leather to canvas, there are plenty of options out there, offering both sharp style and the ability to carry more around without getting backache.
- Two straps in order for it to sit comfortably and distribute weight evenly across your shoulders and back.
- Great for carting around heavier items including valuables.
- Often features pouches and zipped compartments in the inner lining.
This backpack from Marks & Spencer, just £39.50, is great in terms of both style and protection for your goods. With the added bonus of heavy-duty clips as well as a draw string, you can feel secure with gadgets like laptops and tablets inside. The padded exterior is also fantastic for this and made with Stormwear technology to keep your cargo dry.
We’re going to go out on a whim here and suggest she doesn’t mean the canvas tote bags largely used to carry around shopping. Similar in cut and purpose, tote handbags hold all their structure in their main body and are otherwise completely open.
- Generally unstructured with an open interior to accommodate anything you want to throw in your bag.
- Set of two straps to hold or haul over your shoulder, with one magnetic fastening.
- Shopper and Hobo style bags are similar – shoppers even less structured with no inner pockets, whilst hobo bags are larger and baggier in shape.
You can find all these styles stocked at the retailers featured on our site, including Marks and Spencer, Debenhams and New Look, all with the latest money-saving deals. For the perfect tote, this red leather one by Autograph at Marks and Spencer has the option of organisation but meets in the middle with an otherwise open interior. Just £99.
Put in simple terms, a clutch is a lot like a purse, just marginally larger and you’re usually able to cram your phone and lipstick in it, too. Commonly desired for those special occasions, it’s worth knowing there are still clutch bag styles available for day and night.
- Compact in size.
- They only have a small strap if one at all.
- Designed to fit snuggly under a woman’s arm.
Often colour comes down to matching with other accessories like shoes and shouldn’t distract from the main event of a woman’s outfit. Like with any bag, it’s best bet of standing the test of time is by opting for neutral colours and avoiding anything too brash if you don’t want it to go out of style. This nude clutch will probably only squeeze in a phone, some cash and maybe make-up to top up if you’re lucky, but at £15 it’s the ideal accessory that can be easily incorporated into most outfits.
In the small to medium size bracket, across body style bags are distinguishable by:
- Long, adjustable strap, which you can either wear across the body or hanging from your shoulder.
- This gives you freedom to move your arms with your bag at your waist.
- Offers compartments inside and often a zipped pocket on the outside, too.
One of the most popular styles for day-to-day use, you can buy across body bags in a range of colours and shapes. The leather crescent-shaped bag from Marks & Spencer is ideal for cramming in your daily essentials, with a separate zipped compartment on the front for your phone or keys. Just £69.
Shoulder bags are perhaps the most diverse in terms of shape and size.
- The overarching feature is that it has one strap that you wear over your shoulder.
- These straps can be long or short, adjustable and not.
- The interior of shoulder bags isn’t specific either, with some featuring compartments and others completely unstructured.
- Buy slouchy or rigid shoulder bags, big, small or medium, with fabric or metal chained straps.
We’re a big fan of a bag that can hold a lot, so would reach for this faux leather double shoulder bag, which features a shorter strap for holding in your hand or a longer one for swapping it onto your shoulder. For around £39.50, shoulder bags offers versatility in terms of style and the space to take as much or as little as you want and be comfortable to take with you wherever you’re going.
When it comes to buying that special woman in your life a bag, it’s a good idea to weigh up what she wants out of a bag. Is she the type of woman who travels around with a lot day-to-day, or does she like the freedom of not having to cart around a huge bag? From the small, smart clutch to totes and shoppers, if she’s got an ever-growing handbag collection, we’re sure she’d appreciate any one of these styles. That said, we think it’s probably best to get more details out of her than just a handbag. Otherwise you might find yourself returning that thoughtful gift.
What do you think of these bags?